Spring has sprung, so here is a little check list to ensure that your home maintenance is up-to-date!
- Repair or replace any exterior wood siding or trim that is damaged, missing or not adequately painted.
- Fix any leaks or cracks in caulk around exterior windows.
- Fill and fix any broken or missing mortar in exterior brick.
- Check, repair or replace any exterior faucets or valves that are leaking or damaged.
- Visually check your roof for damage and/or loose or missing shingles.
- Check if any vents, roof stacks or skylights have broken or contain cracked flashing or damaged caulk seals.
- Retain a professional to repair any cracks or damage in the flashing around the chimney(s).
- Ensure that downspouts route water away from the home.
- Evaluate and ensure that grading is sloped away from foundation walls in order to avoid water penetration.
- Visually inspect that gutters are securely attached to the house, not sagging and functioning properly.
- Ensure a dry basement by checking for dampness or water leaks after wet weather.
- Check for and seal any cracks in the concrete floor, walls or window caulking.
- Ensure crawlspace vents are free from debris or clutter.
- Test your sump pump for proper operation.
Property and Grounds
- Prune shrubs and trees that are too close to the house.
- Remove yard debris from high traffic areas, paths, etc.
- Treat your lawn to ensure it remains healthy and free from pests.
- Power wash any mold, mildew or stains on your deck, patio or outdoor concrete area.
- Search for signs that indicate insects and/or animals have colonized.
- Search carefully for mold, which can manifest in gray or
- Check that vents and fans are working properly to ensure proper ventilation.
- Check your insulation to ensure optimal energy efficiency.
- Evaluate and replace any missing bathroom caulk or damaged grout.
- Clean your garbage disposal by freezing lemon slices in ice cubes, then insert your lemon cubes into disposal and turn the disposal on.
- Ensure your toilet is secured to the floor, not running continuously and operating properly.
Windows and Doors
- Remove storm window inserts and replace with screens.
- Ensure windows are properly caulked inside the home to prevent air conditioning from escaping.
- Clean and lubricate window channels and door hinges to ensure smooth function.
Heating and Cooling
- Ensure A/C unit is free of debris to ensure proper airflow.
- Change or clean your furnace filters monthly.
- Make sure your dehumidifier/humidifier is working properly.
- Test/replace smoke and carbon monoxide detector batteries.
- Clear vents and ducts from obstructions and debris.
- Consult a professional to service your air conditioning unit to ensure proper function.
- Consider a professional duct cleaning.
- Replace water filters on your fridge’s water system.
- Check to ensure fridge maintains a consistent temperature.
- Clean the fridge’s coil vents.
- Clean and vacuum debris from dryer vents.
- Ensure the range anti-tip bracket is installed.